When you’re dreaming of redesigning your kitchen, it’s easy to get lost in a Pinterest bubble or go down the proverbial rabbit hole on a home decor website searching for a picture-perfect setup. But falling for a gorgeous photo instead of following your own intuition can lead to making a design decision that doesn’t suit your lifestyle.
Instead of just copying current trends, it’s time to listen to your inner voice. “Taking stock of your personality and daily routine is a more practical and constructive way to kickstart your kitchen renovation moodboard,” says Kim Williams, SVP of Retail Operations at Williams Lumber and Home Centers.
With seven locations, including two kitchen and bath showrooms in Pleasant Valley and Rhinebeck that feature over 20 kitchen design displays ranging from traditional to ultra-modern from quality manufacturers like Omega, Schrock, Crystal, and Hafele, Williams Lumber and Home Centers has been a go-to for home improvement in the Hudson Valley since 1946.
“At Williams, we have all types of customers with a variety of styles and tastes,” she says. “Our most important job is to educate them regarding their choices on functionality and aesthetics, so their kitchen design works best for their family and home.”
What do your kitchen habits say about your ideal new kitchen design? Take our quiz to discover the perfect match for your personal style.
1. What’s your ideal weeknight meal at home?
- a) A beautifully marbled steak with crispy roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts.
- b) I’ve been hankering for a long-simmered curry with lots of fragrant spices, plus homemade naan.
- c) I’m splurging a little and picking up sushi from our favorite local spot.
2. What’s your favorite way to entertain guests at home?
- a) We’re all in the kitchen around the island, noshing on a charcuterie board and catching up over wine.
- b) We’re probably outside on the deck grilling and enjoying the gorgeous views.
- c) You better believe I planned out an elaborate spread, starring an adventurous recipe I’ve been dying to make.
3. What three kitchen appliances can you not live without?
- a) My food processor, Dutch oven, and pizza stone.
- b) My espresso machine, top-of-the-line coffee grinder, and high-powered blender.
- b) My cast iron skillet, coffee maker, and toaster oven.
4. What colors, textures, and details do you gravitate toward in your interiors?
- a) I go for a mix of soothing neutrals like white, taupe, gray, and navy and natural materials like wood and ceramics.
- b) I love moody, saturated colors and interesting patterns for wall colors, textiles, tiling—you name it.
- c) I’m a sucker for a sleek, monochromatic look and thoughtful but subtle accents.
5. Where did you get your favorite coffee mug?
- a) I stumbled on it in this cute shop while I was traveling.
- b) It’s an original design from a great local ceramicist.
- c) It matches my plates and bowls because they’re all from the same set.
Quiz Answer Key
Answers 1) A-2, B-3, C-1 2) A-1, B-2, C-3 3) A-3, B-1, C-2 4) A-2, B-3, C-1 5) A-3, B-1, C-2
5 to 8 Points
There’s nothing you love more than the clean lines and maximum functionality that keep clutter in your kitchen to a minimum. You’ll be right at home in an open floor plan with sleek and refined cabinetry, punched up with a bold monotone color scheme and high-end, high-tech appliances. Hidden design elements like the clever pull-out storage solutions from innovative companies such as Rev-a-Shelf and Hafele offer maximum efficiency behind every door and drawer.
9 to 12 Points
You thrill for the open and inviting look of a traditional farmhouse kitchen that blends solid materials and craftsmanship with a comfortable, lived-in look. Your ideal kitchen is defined by historic details, such as reclaimed wood, shiplap paneling, exposed beams, stone or wooden floors, and furniture-like cabinetry. Opting for all-new custom or semi-custom cabinetry from a quality company like Omega gives you the choice of the hand-selected woods, top of the line hardware, and hand-applied techniques that will help you achieve the rustically charming kitchen you’ve always wanted.
13 to 15 Points
Casual and Eclectic
You’re a bit of an indecisive maximalist, but that’s not a bad thing! Where others might balk at incorporating design elements from different styles and eras, you thrive on pattern-blending and mixing-and-matching. Your dream kitchen might incorporate fun and funky details like a Moroccan-style tile backsplash, a hanging rack full of vintage copper pots, and boldly painted walls. Cabinet manufacturer MasterBrand offers custom color capabilities in many of its lines, so you can create a complementary color scheme to perfectly enhance your artfully paired decor.